Berkeley Arts Magnet School at Whittier is nestled in the heart of downtown Berkeley. Affectionately known as BAM, the school offers a rigorous and inspiring curriculum in academics, arts, and social emotional learning. The BAM community is deeply committed to equity and engagement through learning experiences that celebrate the diversity of our students. In continuity with the school’s traditions, BAM values cross-curricular learning in all domains, and consistently pledges funds and instructional time to incorporate visual arts, performing arts, music and dance into a comprehensive education program.Berkeley Arts Magnet School at Whittier is nestled in the heart of downtown Berkeley. Affectionately known as BAM, the school offers a rigorous and inspiring curriculum in academics, arts, and social emotional learning. The BAM community is deeply committed to equity and engagement through learning experiences that celebrate the diversity of our students. In continuity with the school’s traditions, BAM values cross-curricular learning in all domains, and consistently pledges funds and instructional time to incorporate visual arts, performing arts, music and dance into a comprehensive education program.BAM is in alignment with the Berkeley Unified School District Mission:
The Mission of the Berkeley Unified School District is to enable and inspire our diverse student body to achieve academic excellence and make positive contributions to our world.At Berkeley Arts Magnet, you will discover –
- Highly trained and teachers who are committed to achieving academic and equity goals;
- Literacy coaches who provide extra support to students and ongoing professional development for teachers;
- On-site counselor to support the social-emotional needs of students and families;
- Arts specialists who provide dance, percussion, and visual arts instruction in collaboration with your childâ€™s teacher;
- Staff who support games at recess and physical education for all students;
- Response to Intervention specialist who provides additional support for students;
- After-School Program for extended school day where students receive homework support , targeted intervention, and can enroll in an assortment of enrichment classes that are hosted by our After-School Program through LEARNS; and
- Committed families, students and staff who work together to create a lively and engaged learning community!
Finally, BAM is marked by a fantastic community of enthusiastic parents and families that volunteer many working hours to support our classrooms, host events, and develop projects for our school. Our parents and caregivers are an essential part of the school community, and take their responsibility as school partners seriously. This is a school that can count on lots of family support, and this is a school that provides multiple opportunities for participation. All our family groups (PTA, School Governance Council, Justice Equity & Inclusion Committee, the BAM Giving Campaign and more) promote active participation, parent education, student achievement, and community celebration.
It is this mission that drives the instruction at BAM. Our deeply passionate staff, led by Principal Rene Molina, make this school a special place to call home for Transitional Kindergarten through fifth grade.
RenÃ© Molina, Principal
Jenefer Hernandez, School Admin Assistant II
BAM Bell Schedule
Grades 1-5: 3:20 pm (Wed: 2:25)
- Directory & Staff List
- Lunch Menus
- School Site Plans: |
- School Accountability Report Cards:
- Complaint Forms
- Program Improvement Letter for 2014-15 (µþ¾±±ô¾±²Ô²µÃ¼±ð)
- Family Guides To Report Cards
- History of Berkeley Arts Magnet
The CAASPP Testing Window for BAM is 5/11/20 – 5/15/20.
- Superintendent’s State Testing Letter (3/2/20)
- Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments:
- California Science Test:
- California Alternate Assessments:
- English Language Proficiency Assessments for California:
Our family loves BAM! The teachers are incredible, and I have appreciated their commitment to supporting every child regardless of whether that means extra time to master new concepts, more support for their social-emotional development, or extra challenges to keep everyone engaged. The parent/guardian community is involved in lots of community-minded ways, and I have especially appreciated our school gardens, including the playground garden and the poetry garden, after school extended care and enrichment programs on the BAM campus, and fundraising events that are fun and inclusive for the entire BAM community. To me, it is a model of everything I’d hoped for in a public school for my kiddos.
– Parent of two BAM Students